Saturday, July 21, 2012

Allergies, Do I Ever Hate Them!

Allergies, do I ever hate them...

A few days ago, I cut and served myself 2 pieces of apple and moments later, I felt my lungs closing up. Breathing was getting worst and the feeling of chest pains usually is not a good sign. I was talking to Kristy and Mike at the time on Facebook. I told Kristy and she wanted me to go to the hospital immediately. So I messaged Mike to come over and take me  there, and he did. Thanks bro! :)

I went back to the apples section of Loblaws to check what the name of the apple I was was. They were either Apple Fuji or Divine. It was piled right next to each other, so I couldn't differentiate either. I guess the safe thing to do from now on is to not eat anymore apples :(

Yesterday, I went to get my weekly allergy shots at Apple Tree (across from my work). I went in to get the shot at 1:45PM and waited my 30 minutes until 2:15PM. The nurses checked my arms and there were no noticeable reactions so I left and headed back to work. The moment I stepped outside, I noticed my breathing was a little off and my throat felt like it was closing. I didn't think much of it, but by the time I got back to the office and into my chair, I noticed all these hives started popping up on my arms. I quickly jump up and went back to the clinic to get it checked out. It was an allergic reaction.



The dosage this time was week 1 of the 4th 'stage' (yellow bottle). It was much stronger than the previous one I had, as seen by this episode of panic. The doctor came in immediately and checked me out. He said my face was beginning to swell and that he needed to inject some Benadryl and Epinepherine to slow down the reaction. Those were painful needles... 

The symptoms weren't going away, or least they were disappearing very slowly. I got 4 puffs of asthma and took a shot of 8 Prednisone tablets. It was intense. The doc looked a bit worried and kept asking me how I was feeling. I felt the same, but a little later I did feel a lot better.

He told me that I would need to go to the hospital and get monitored, for 4 hours! AHHH!

I was taken to the hospital by ambulance. First time inside an ambulance and was carried out on a stretcher. You're probably thinking... really!? I told them I could walk, but they insisted on strapping me down on a bed and rolling me out. So we "rolled out!".

When I got there, there was a line. The paramedics were jokes. The guy was cool and somehow managed to bump me to the front and I got in before the patients that were ahead of me. I'm glad that happened, so didn't have to wait because that would have added time to the 3-4 hours I needed to be there.

They got me on another bed and placed the monitoring cables on me. My dad came by to check on me briefly, and then left, leaving me the keys to get back into my condo. Thanks dad!

I zonked out moments after they asked me a few questions. Guess that would happen after injecting so many types of drugs. I felt high, light headed and heart pounding. I was woken up and they moved me into the hallway to make room for another patient. The ER room is SO NOISY! I couldn't sleep again, so I stayed away in my sofa chair, and later made a few calls to make sure everyone knew I was fine.

The joy of all this was when I got to leave. Susan came to pick me up, and even bought me dinner! Thanks Suse! Herman met us at my place after, and we chilled there for a bit while I told them my story.

I hope this doesn't happen again, but I think I will go back and finish my shots. I will need to slide back down to a lighter / less concentrated dose though. Overall, I think the shots have helped. No need to take Reactine everyday to counteract the itchy eyes, runny nose and occasional loud sneezes.

Glad that episode is over, and all is good! :)

What a start to the weekend! Enjoy yours! Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment