Monday, August 22, 2011

Cancer affects many, R.I.P. Jack Layton


It's a sad day for Canada to have lost one of its famed leaders, Jack Layton. If you know me well, I don't follow politics. It just just not an enjoyable subject to me.

When I heard the news this morning about Layton (read it on my iPhone on the way to work), I was in deep shock. Of all the speeches I've witnessed, I've always found Jack Layton's to be the most enjoyable the watch and listen to.

The most depressing part of my day, after finding out about this, was just minute after when I overheard a passenger on the bus (a lady sitting behind me) got a call from a friend who found out that someone close to her was diagnosed with cancer. I did not hear what type of cancer he got, but I just felt a shiver up my spine. I wish the best of luck to her and her friend.

Layton's final words

Layton sends out a strong message after finding out about his condition... it ended like this...

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."

Let's keep Layton's words at the back of our mind! (and let's remember he spoke Chinese in one of his election commercials!)

LOVE, HOPE, OPTIMISM!

Maybe something a bit humorous to end it off, as I'm sure Jack Layton amused himself when he rewatched this speech. Dat a boy Jack!

No comments:

Post a Comment