Monday, January 16, 2012

Try Out a Professional Massage - DONE!

Here's a quick one...

About 3 weeks ago, my microwave oven broke. Since then, I haven't microwaved anything in my unit. I found other methods of heating my food; cooking it in a frying pan and baking it in the oven (Kristy also suggested I could have steamed my food, and even using the rice cooker as an option while the rice cooks :) ).

So three weeks later, I made my way over to Future Shop and bought a microwave oven. 'There goes $200'. Someone is to come and install it tomorrow.

I went with a Samsung because I know they are a good brand, despite the fact that the one that broke is a Samsung as well (manufactured in 2005 - hopefully this new one lasts longer than 6 years). After I brought it home, I went to the gym to finish up my 3 day workout routine. I started with flat bench at 135x10, 155x10, 185x6... and that is where it hit me! This is probably the first major injury I've ever gotten (although it probably sounds minor to most athletes, but it's probably one of the most painful ones to live with). But that was 6 reps 185lbs on my own! Woo!

It felt like a pulled a muscle in my neck/should area, more so on the right side. My friend there told me to stretch it out as much as possible. So I did and I continued to do so throughout the rest of the day. By night time, the pain spread through my neck/left and right side of my shoulder, and also down my back.

In the morning, I was not able to get up. I was not able to toss and turn without enduring the pain, and the pain escalated like nothing I've felt before. I sent a note the night of to my boss to let him know that I may not be coming in tomorrow due to my injury. He said it was fine and that I should rest.

When I got up from my bed, I noticed my neck was really really stiff. I could barely turn my neck.

My boss had suggested that I go see a massage therapist, so I did. I did some searching around and found the Ottawa Professional Therapy Center. Getting a professional massage was actually one of my bucket list items :) who would have thought I would be able to complete a bucket list item on a sick day, ha! I took the one hour session for $85 (flat). It was very relaxing, but the purpose was really to heal my neck/shoulder and back area, and that's what the RMT did. She did a superb job. Now I will have something to 'benchmark' against whenever I decide to go again.


I must have dozed off two times during that session. I was on my chest for half of it, and my back the other half. She applied oil on my skin to help with the massage. There was very mellow music playing in the background and the lights were dim. The times where she applied pressure on the joints that I had been experiencing pain, it actually gave me the best feeling in the world. I guess that's how it is... but in a professional massage setting. If the pressure goes into your pain areas, it's a good thing. If it hurts, you know its working.

By the end, I got a bag of Epsom salt (also called Magnesium Sulphate). They are very small crystal like pebbles that you pour into your bath tub and helps with healing aches and pains. She recommended that I use this 2-3 days after the therapy, and to have a lot of water on hand to prevent dehydration. I'll have to remember that!

Hopefully by the end of this week the pain will have come and gone! Looking forward to getting back on the hills this weekend (20 cm of snow coming tomorrow!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment