Saturday, February 4, 2012

[Recipe] A Yummy Recipe: Sweet n' Sour Pork


Due to popular demand, I'm sharing my recipe on how to make Sweet n' Sour pork (not really mine). This dish is great for any occasion; anywhere, any time and served with anything! I made the sauce for this dish with ketchup in the past. But here, it works a little differently and I find the ingredients for the sauce here tastier! :) **there is a video at the end on how to make this - that's how I learnt. But given there is no written instructions, I thought I'd write one out for you to print and stick on your fridges :) I've also added a bonus ingredient if you wanted to add a bit of variety to your dish!

What you'll need:
  • 1 lb pork loin
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup vinegar (apple cider is fine - that's the one I use)
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 tsp cornstarch
  • fresh pineapple
Step 1: cut your pork loin into bite-size

Step 2: make the batter:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp salt
Stir and beat until batter smooths. You don't need to wait for it to sit for an hour (he said so in the video but you don't need to wait... at least I didn't!).

Step 3: in a large bowl, throw in your pork, pour the batter in and mix it with your hands.

Step 4: now it is time to fry the pork. Have a large enough pan and oil. Drop in each battered pork into the pan one at a time and let it fry! It will take around 12-15 minutes. Once you notice that it is golden brown, remove it from the pan and set it aside.

Step 5: making the Sweet n Sour *secret* Sauce:
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup vinegar (apple cider is fine - that's the one I use)
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 tsp cornstarch
Stir all the above in a pan until it dissolved. Have the pan over the stove on low-medium speed. All we want first is for everything to melt and dissolve. One that happens, you'll notice that the sauce is still quite liquidy. Turn the heat up until the sauce boils/bubbles. This will help thicken the sauce. Turn it off once you see it bubbling, it should be good by then.

Step 6: pour the sauce over the pork once it is ready.

Step 7: SERVE and EATTTT!!!

*BONUS* Step: this would come in BEFORE YOU POUR THE SAUCE... dice up some fresh pineapples and add it to the heated sauce. Pineapples are a nice addition to sweet n sour pork. Serve and eat! :)

Here is the video that I followed to make this dish. If you are a visual person like myself, then you'll probably follow this. The bonus step is not in there and I've outlined my process, not exactly how he does it in the video.

Please leave comments if you've tried making it and it was a success. If you have a different way of making it, I'd like to hear from you as well! :)


BON APPETITE!

No comments:

Post a Comment